Saturday 7 May 2011

Nail Foils

I'm really into nail art and stuff like that so I've been looking for some new stuff to try out and my hairdresser had these nail foils. So I got some off ebay- 10 for like a fiver or something! Anyway they're really fiddly. I got them like yesterday or something so I've had a go, and after a few mishaps and trial runs, here's my first attempt:
As you can see, there's a bit missing on the first finger, and it managed to get all over my fingers! But once it's washed off it should look pretty cool. For a first attempt anyhow.
Obviously I'm no expert just yet, but in order to do it, you have to first paint your nails in a normal colour. Well I mean it can be clear just be careful because some patterns have transparent bits and then it'll look wierd! It's vital that you paint your nails cos they don't stick very well otherwise. (I found this out the hard way- what a waste!)
So once you've done that, paint your nails in a VERY VERY teensy weensy thin layer of  foil adhesive (again very important- firstly use foil adhesive, it's definitely worth the extra couple of quid cos nothing works quite like it. Secondly apply a very very thin layer, I mean seriously thin, because otherwise you'll be waiting for like 3 hours for the glue to dry. Or you could wait like 1 minute!)
So after you've applied this thin layer wait like a minute until it's totally invisible and pretty much dry and then apply your foil, pattern side up.(This is another mistake I made!) It's easier if you cut them into nail like sizes so you can smooth them better. Then rub the foil over the nail with a cotton bud or something similar. I find it works best if you then leave it to set for another minute or so, then peel back the foil to see if it's taken. If not then rub it and leave it a bit longer, if it has then voila!!
A lot of the time if you apply clear nail varnish it cracks the foil. But I've found that Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails doesn't do this, you can try your own though.
You can buy the nail foils I got here: http://www.foilsonline.com/
Night Floral is the one I used in the above photo.
Make sure you buy adhesive!!
Don't get disheartened if it doesn't work- it's proper tricky! But you'll get the hang of it, and I'm sure the next time I try it they'll be perfect!
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment